hey now

[ are you calling us myopic? ]

then email it to our faces

mutual

- wonkette
- bkke
- drudge
- fark
- jay
- mcsweeney's
- bloglines
- scribs
- Wiffleball League

jones

- boingboing
- arts and letters daily
- michael chabon
- yahoo most sent
- sullivan
- daily collegian
- sam sloan
- steelers
- SETI@Home

lucas

- atrios
- talking points memo
- daily kos
- oliver willis
- pandagon
- boston sports blog
- johnny most
- politicalwire
- exploding dog
- danziger
- karo
- the sloppy one


Archives
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
August 2006

Site Meter


Get Firefox
someone said








i wish i were an optimist but it probably wouldn't work out




Wednesday, July 21, 2004
Fantasy Football My Arse.

Remember those kids in high school who were really into Dungeons & Dragons?  They would be at the lunch table huddled around and speaking in what sounded like a foreign language, their pockets brimming with funny-sided dice.  Occasionally you would see a few more of them take this a step further and get into role-playing games with swords and shields, etc.  We made fun of these kids.  You did too.  Now I am one - only it is considered more socially acceptable among men.  It is Fantasy Football.  Here I am pretending to manage a team, watching stats, reading reports, interpreting the pundits- all so I can best friends and strangers at something that requires even less exercise than swinging a sword made of padded PVC piping.


I do not understand why I like or play Fantasy Football.  I am too lazy to pick every mind-numbing position out of the ever-growing list of names I do not know, yet I get mad at myself when I do the auto-draft and get stuck with lemons.    What I do know is that I hate saying the word "fantasy."  There is no good way for it to roll off of my tongue - and just because I put $50 down, does not make it feel ok.    But I play it, and I get a rush when I win, and feel the heartache when I lose (mostly from the anticipation of being taunted by opponents).  And I wonder is this how the D&D kids did it?  Did I miss out on something fun?  I am also willing to bet that those kids learned how to strategize both long and short term way before I ever did.  It would not suprise me at all if the upper echelon of Fantasy Football geeks were in fact D&D geniuses too.  And they are sitting there in my leagues, quietly waiting to take my $50. 


I am off to buy funny-sided dice. 



Iraq's Inappropriate Appropriation: Thumbs Up!

(JavaScript Error)
click here for more.

> ---!>